This week

Manga street datesElex: 8.20 · Level: 8.20 · m&c!: 8.20
Anime (on Animax Asia):
Arpeggio of Blue Steel, weekdays, 10pm WIB
Space Dandy Season 2, Sundays 9pm WIB
Bleach Season 6, Weekdays 630pm WIB [Season finale] 19 August 2014, Tuesday
Bleach Season 7 [Season premiere] 20 August 2014, Wed, 630pm WIB (airs weekdays)

6.10.2008

Level Comics Top 20 Manga Bestsellers: AirGear is #1, seinen titles are *not* in the top five

As promised, here's Part II of the Indonesian Bestselling Manga series—for the Level Comics imprint.

The top three spots as previously advised were nabbed by Oh! Great-sensei's AirGear manga, with Perfect Girl Evolution (Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge) by Hayakawa Tomoko-sensei, and surprisingly, Love & Collage or Ai Kora by Inoue Kazurou-sensei occupying the second and third slots. I say surprisingly for Love & Collage because it edged out Morikawa Joji-sensei's Hajime no Ippo by I don't know how much of a margin (Elex only released rankings).

Level Comics Top 20 Manga Bestsellers (Q1 2008)

1 AirGear
2 Perfect Girl Evolution (Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge)
3 Love & Collage (Ai Kora)
4 Fight! Ippo (Hajime no Ippo)
5 Trafficker
6 Dandelion
7 Blade of the Immortal (Mugen no Juunin)
8 xxxHOLiC
9 The Black Swindler (Kurosagi)
10 Vagabond
11 Hotaru's Light (Hotaru no Hikari)
12 Rainbow
13 20th Century Boys
14 Yugo the Negotiator
15 Shin Angyo Onshi
16 Magister Negi Magi (Mahou Sensei Negima!)
17 My Favorite Bike by Yamaguchi Katsumi
18 Babysitter Gin
19 Train Man (Densha Otoko) by Hara Hidenori
20 LIFE by Suenobu Keiko

Source: Elex Media R&D, standalones excluded

Some of these titles—like My Favorite Bike and The Black Swindler—I don't even know. Yamaguchi Katsumi-sensei's My Favorite BIKE, it turns out, is a seinen series published under Shogakukan's Big Comic imprint. Looks like it only spanned three volumes. Meanwhile, Kurosagi (クロサギ), another Shogakukan seinen title although serialized in Young Sunday, is illustrated by Kuromaru-sensei based on the story by Natsuhara Takeshi-sensei. Kurosagi: The Black Swindler is still ongoing, with the 19th tankōbon slated to release June 2008.

By target audience
We see a relatively fairer distribution for Level in comparison with Elex's list. While seinen still gains ascendancy in terms of number of titles it has in the list (11 of 20 or 55 percent), shōnen manga, despite making up only a quarter of Level's bestselling, was able to place four of the five shōnen titles in the top five slots, or more to the point, the first and third ranked are shōnen titles. Shōjo—one of which is the second placer PGE—and josei have two titles apiece in the list.

By original publisher
Remember Al Ries and Jack Trout's Law No. 8? In the long run, every market becomes a two-horse race? Yup, seems the law of duality is in effect over Level's Top 20 Bestselling List. Eleven are Kodansha properties, (55 percent) and the rest are Shogakukan assets (45 percent or nine of the 20 entries). Hakusensha (Hana-Kimi *sniff*) is nowhere to be found, despite volumes 13 and 14 of For You in Full Blossom releasing 6 February and 18 March.

If/when Elex releases the next quarter's list, I don't expect to see much change, although I predict that the following titles ought to rise in the rankings, seeing as their finales were scheduled for release in the April to June period: 20th Century Boys (volume 22 released 3 June 2008); Babysitter Gin (volume 9 expected to street sometime in June) Dandelion (volume 2 expected to street sometime in June); Trafficker (volume 3 released 29 April 2008); and Densha Otoko (volume 3 released 20 May 2008). Don't hold me to this, though; I routinely get those And the award goes to... thingies wrong, not to mention those June releases might yet get re-skedded.

Technorati tags
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,, , ,

~niki DBA 花木蘭03 (huamulan03) who's wondering now if there's a bestseller list for the m&c! imprint

other invaluable resource(s)

Baka-Updates Manga | 7&Y | ComiPedia | Wikipedia

Recent posts