New Series and Standalones
If you're feening for new manga (new to Indonesia in the *not* bootleg sense), Watsuki Nobuhiro-sensei's Busou Renkin finally premieres after being scheduled for May 2008 and then June 2008. I think it's worth getting, not just because of Watsuki Nobuhiro-sama worship, but more for the possibility of volumes 2 to 3 also going on sale in July. I base that squint-and-you'll-see-it speculation on the circumstantial inclusion of Busou Renkin volume 4 in the Elex Media Komikologi July issue (quick manga fixes = win after all).
Toggle release links for details and cover scans
- [Premiere] A.S. (Animal Sense) 1 of 3 by Maekawa Takeshi
- The Age of Chaos (Shura no Toki) 2 of 15 by Kawahara Masatoshi
- Bobobo-bo bo-bobo 13 of 21 by Sawai Yoshio
- [Premiere] Busou Renkin 1 of 10 by Watsuki Nobuhiro
- Cantarella 8 of 10+ by Higuri Yuu
- [Premiere] Cavalier Princess (Qi Shi Gong Zhu) 1 of 4 by Tsen Shiau-Jing
- Firefighter Daigo (Megumi no Daigo) 20 of 20 by Soda Masahito [Finale]
- First Boyfriend (Hatsukare) 5 of 10 by Tomori Miyoshi
- Ghost Sweeper Mikami (GS Mikami Gokuraku Daisakusen!!) 26 of 39 by Shiina Takashi
- [New] Girl in the Mirror by Dorachi Roshirin (makita)
- [New] Jump Around by Kelingking Kuroshiro (makita)
- Kagetora 6 of 11 by Segami Akira
- Kedai Tasogare (Tasogare Dou e Youkoso) 2 of 7 by Yoshikawa Utata
- [Premiere] Kitchen Princess (Kitchen no Ohimesama) 1 of 9+ by Ando Natsumi, Kobayashi Miyuki
- [Premiere] Lum, The Invader Girl (Urusei Yatsura) 1 of 34 by Takahashi Rumiko
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Sangokushi) 2 of 6 by Yamasaki Hiromi
- A Story of Heroes 17 by Choi Mir
- Trigun Maximum 6 of 14 by Nightow Yasuhiro
- Tsubomi's Secret (Naisho no Tsubomi) 3 of 4+ by Yabuuchi Yuu
- Western Shotgun (AKA Blazin' Barrels) 26 of 31+ by Park MinSeo
All titles above are IDR 13,800 with the exception of The Age of Chaos 2 which retails for IDR 15,000.
The latest issue 49/2008 of Shonen Magz (Indonesia's version of Kodansha's Weekly Shounen Magazine), goes on sale one day before the manga volumes do. Among the titles ShoMagz has serialized are BECK, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Kungfu Boy Legends, Rose Hip Zero, and Vinland Saga.
Source: Elex Media STO 09 Juli 2008
New series - continued
With Busou Renkin, we have seven this release list, one of which is Cavalier Princess (below). Originally titled Qi Shi Gong Zhu, this shoujo manhua is the creation of Tsen Shiau-Jing, manga-ka of Dream Walker.
The other series debuts are: A.S. (Animal Sense), Kitchen Princess, and Lum, The Invader Girl AKA Urusei Yatsura. There are a couple of one-shot makita or original Indonesian manga—Jump Around by Kelingking Kuroshiro and Girl in the Mirror by Dorachi Roshirin. I'm not familiar with either komikus, but what I've googled netted the latter being dissed for his/her "amateurish" offering, My Cherry. Perversely, I'm now thinking of getting Girl in the Mirror to check to confirm whether the was the manga-ka drawing during a bumpy ride in a bajay? comment still applies. (Gee, do I also goggle at pileups on the tollway? No.)
Firefighter Daigo concludes its Indonesian run with the release of volume 20 this Wednesday.
By original publisher
We have Taiwanese manhua, Korean manhwa, Indonesian makita, and Japanese manga, a diversity that makes jockeying for dominance slightly more challenging. In the end, it's Kodansha and Shogakukan in a tie, with each comprising 20 percent of the total releases. Shueisha and Akita Shoten account for 15 percent respectively. By virtue of those two makita titles, Elex Media grabs 10 percent.
I must reiterate that I'm surprised by the number of Akita Shoten manga being released by Elex lately. It's a welcome development, especially for this release list which has no Hakusensha titles in it.
No contest. shounen/sonyun captures 60 percent of the total release, 25 percentage points over the shoujo and boys' love aggregate.
This award has got to go to Tsubomi's Secret volume 3. When I first saw it, it was
3? What happened to 1 and 2? The Oracle at Mountain View helped out again, returning November 2006 for volume 1 and April 2007 for volume 2. Good thing I'm not a Yabuuchi Yuu-sensei fan.
Level Comics 8 July 2008 manga
~niki DBA huamulan03 (花木蘭03) who still hasn't gotten Kedai Tasogare 1 yet >.<
A three-wheeled utility vehicle/autorickshaw used for public transportation, the bajay is an omnipresent feature of Jakarta (kinda like Bangkok's tuk tuk). It's supposed to carry three (including the driver), although miracles have been known to happen with the payload. You have to haggle your fare but even without getting on, you soon discover that it's noisy, turn on a dime maneuverable (which it uses with effectiveness in traffic-congested streets and alleys), looks simian, and usually belches black smoke. Despite measures to legislate its freedom to putter along, the bajay looks like it will remain a mainstay in metro streets.