ere's the list of July 2008 manga and manhwa from Gramedia m&c! The schedule follows m&c!'s ordering—that unfortunately breaks for no week. As far as I know, the final volume 3 of Limited Lovers is the cut-off for releases due out 7 July 2008.
New series and standalones July has its fair share of series debuts and standalones, some of which I've already noted in their own posts, specifically The Knockout Makers and Hiyokoya Shop. Just to reiterate though: the earlier advised Koharu Biyori IS Higuchi Nichiho-sensei's shoujo manga originally serialized in Kodansha's Betsufure DX. The story follows juvie Harada Kounosuke and his cute dog Koharu and whatever mischief they get up to.
Toggle release links for details and cover scans.
- Excel 3 of 4 by Yoon JiUn
- Ge-Ddong: A Girl With An Ugly Name 3 of 8 by Vin Lee
- Monika (Turma da Mônica) 112 by Mauricio (Mauricio de Sousa Produções)
- Kirarin Revolution 2 of 12+ by Nakahara An
- Flowers in the Heart (Hana no Namae) 2 of 4 by Saito Ken
- Dai's Attack (Dai no Attack) 4 of 6 by Izumi Makoto
- [Premiere] The Knockout Makers 1 of 3 by Hashimoto Kyoko
- [Premiere] Koharu Biyori 1 of 5 by Higuchi Nichiho
- The Deadly Dance (Hiou Shirabyoushi) 9 of 12 by Toujou Meguru
- Golden Age 4 of 9+ by Samukawa Kazuyuki
- Shanimuni GO 17 of 29+ by Ragawa Marimo
- A Direction The Day After Tomorrow (Asatte no Houkou) 3 of 5 by Yamada J-ta
- W-Change!! 2 of 5 by Matsuba Hiro
- Moon Guardian Syugogetten! Retrouvailles (Mamotte Shugogetten! Retrouvailles) 2 of 6 by Sakurano Minene
- [Premiere] Cyborg Kurochan Extra Battle (Cyborg Kurochan Bangai Battle) 1 of 2 by Yokouchi Naoki, Uchida Junta
- Limited Lovers 3 of 3 by Yamada Keiko [Finale]
- [Premiere] Hiyokoya Shop (Ikaihanjouki Hiyokoya Shoten) 1 of 6+ by Suda Yuriko
- Rainbow Miracle (Nanairo Miracle) 5 of 7 by Kanaki Shiori
- Sugar Pot (Sugar Pot -Cafe flat-) 3 of 3 by Takasuka Yue [Finale]
- [New] Café de Romance by Miyawaki Yukino
- Neon Genesis Evangelion 10 of 12+ by Sadamoto Yoshiyuki
- Death Note 10 of 13 by Ohba Tsugumi, Obata Takeshi
- Butterfly in Your Thumb (Oyayubihime Infinity) 2 of 6 by Fujieda Toru
- The Ghost Conqueror (Momogumi Plus Senki) 2 of 5+ by Sakondou Eri
- [New] Densha Otoko (Densha Otoko - Bijo to Junjo Otaku Seinen no Net Hatsu Love Story) by Nakano Hitori, Ocha Machiko
- Special A 9 of 14+ by Minami Maki
- Cherry no. 25 (monthly shoujo mangazine)
- The Good Witch of The West (Nishi no Yoki Majo) 2 of 7 by Ogiwara Noriko, Momokawa Haruhiko
Source: m&c! What's New (1 July 2008 update)
New series and standalones
Another series starting this July is Cyborg Kurochan Extra Battle by Yokouchi Naoki- and Uchida Junta-sensei, but I'm not interested in this title. I'm in the mood for some six-chapters or less gratification, so I'm more tempted by the two standalones that together with the new series make up 22 percent of m&c!'s total July releases: Miyawaki Yukino-sensei's Café de Romance and the shoujo version of the Densha Otoko manga — Densha Otoko - Bijo to Junjo Otaku Seinen no Net Hatsu Love Story by Nakano Hitori-sensei and Ocha Machiko-sensei (the seinen version by Hara Hidenori-sensei was released by Level Comics). Café de Romance was probably serialized in the m&c!/Shogakukan monthly anthology Cherry but don't quote me on that. I gave up Cherry before it even reached its teens (the latest issue for this July is #25).
Conclusions and Penultimates
There's only two series finales advised for this month: the already mentioned Limited Lovers and (gasp!) the last tankō of Takasuka Yue-sensei's Sugar Pot. Talk about straining patience; the first volume of the latter came out waaay back in February 2007, along with other Valentine Shueisha shoujo titles Miss Prince (Kurahashi Erika-sensei) and With You Only or Kimi shika Iranai (Yoshizumi Wataru-sensei).
At 67 percent versus 26 percent, the combined share of shoujo and soonjung far outstrips shounen, but in the latter's defense, there's Death Note volume 10 in there. The fact that there's also the 10th tankōbon of Evangelion among the July releases doesn't excite me anymore; like D.N.Angel, the wait time between releases has been too long, too dragged-out to sustain a high level of emotional investment. If it's there, I'll read. If not, *shrug*
Taking Cherry out of the equation, we come up with a four-way tie between Shogakukan, Hakusensha, Kodansha, and Mag Garden. Each places four titles in the July release list. Akita Shoten and Kadokawa Shoten have three manga apiece, while Shueisha contributes a couple.
manga, manhwa, m&c!, shoujo, shounen, soonjung, Asatte no Houkou, Dai no Attack, Death Note, EXCEL, Ge-Ddong, Golden Age, Hana no Namae, Hiou Shirabyoushi, Kirarin Revolution, The Knockout Makers, Koharu Biyori, Limited Lovers, Mamotte Shugogetten! Retrouvailles, Nanairo Miracle, Shanimuni GO, Special A, W-Change!!
~niki DBA huamulan03 (花木蘭03) who feels a little guilty over bailing on Evangelion