know I sed I make no promises over the timeliness of this HanaLaLa 28 toshokan post, but after the also late HL 27 write-up, this is creeping close to a habit. Good thing the tardy punishment in these
jam karet (rubber time) parts is nearly nil.
At any rate, must. Work. Harder! *ties a hachimaki 'round forehead and looks fiercely punctual*
Now let's talk about the highlights of this edition. The most important development, of course, is the conclusion to Matsumoto Tomo-sensei's Beauty is the Beast or Bijo ga Yaju—which is celebrated both in the front cover and the full-color title page.
On the subject of more rainbow borrowings, this issue has some of the purty-est color pages and spreads (see Vampire Knight Sixth Night, Alice Academy Story 49, Fruits Basket chapter 110, and Arakure chapter 7).
- Vampire Knight by Hino Matsuri | Sixth Night: Out of the Academy (full-color title page)
- Penguin Revolution (Penguin Kakumei) by Tsukuba Sakura | Chapter 17
- Alice Academy (Gakuen Alice) by Higuchi Tachibana | Story 49 (full-color title page)
- Fruits Basket by Takaya Natsuki | Chapter 110 (full-color title spread)
- Arakure - The Wild Ones (Arakure) by Fujiwara Kiyo | Chapter 7 (full-color title page)
- Alice Academy (Gakuen Alice) by Higuchi Tachibana | Story 50
- Mr. ERMINE (Okojo-san) by Uno Ayumi | Chapter 56
- With My Brothers (Oniichan to Issho) by Tokeino Hari | Chapter 27
- Mr. ERMINE (Okojo-san) by Uno Ayumi | Chapter 57
- Ouran High School Host Club (Ouran Koukou Host Club) by Hatori Bisco | Chapter 34
- V.B. Rose (Velvet Blue Rose) by Hidaka Banri | Chapter 28
- Beauty is the Beast (Bijo ga Yaju) by Matsumoto Tomo | Chapter 28 (full-color title page) [Finale]
- Skip Beat! by Nakamura Yoshiki | Act.72: Scenario Jack
- La Corda D'Oro (Kin Iro no Corda) by Kure Yuki | Symphony No. 29
- Mr. ERMINE (Okojo-san) by Uno Ayumi | Chapter 58
- Santa's Town (Santa no Iru Machi) by Tokeino Hari | One-shot
- Mr. ERMINE Si Penguasa (Okojo-banchou) by Uno Ayumi | IX
HanaLaLa 28/2008 went on sale 15 July 2008.
Arakure by Fujiwara Kiyo
I continue to wub, wub, wub this series! Sure, chapter 7 pivots on the school cultural festival device and the
I will protect you! (from all those fake ghosts and loneliness) trope, but Fujiwara Kiyo-sensei's genius in cranking up the sighs-and-heart throbs over the over-the-top romantic Igarashi continues to put goony, satisfied smiles on my face.
Santa's Town (Santa no Iru Machi) by Tokeino Hari
Although I've yet to read this one-shot—I seem to have issues with reading something Christmas-themed in July, despite or probably because of the marketing-exploited Holiday in July precedent—a quick leaf-through of the probably not coincidental 25-page short promises another Feel-good read. I've marked page 401 with a Post-it with the admonition: This December!
Alice Academy (Gakuen Alice) by Tachibana Higuchi
The promised double chapter (49-50) of Alice Academy is similarly set in winter. I must admit, I've been remiss in reading Alice Academy—both the serialization and tankōbon. Catching up is on my To Do list (alongside reading the entire Bijo ga Yaju series that just ended), especially as
Story 50 features Natsume and Mikan sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G! (How classic tropish can you get aside, could this scene be the reason why this chapter's artwork had to be
changed under the approval of the author? Just like PenKaku 16?)
UPCOMING: HanaLala 29/2008
- [Premiere] English School Wars (Eikaiwa School Wars) by Matsumoto Tomo
- Two chapters Fruits Basket
- Vampire Knight - 47 pages
- Short story by Matsumoto Tomo
The next issue streets 19 August 2008.
manga, shoujo, HanaLaLa, Hana to Yume, LaLa, Hakusensha, Elex Media, Arakure, Fujiwara Kiyo, Bijo ga Yaju, Matsumoto Tomo, La Corda D'Oro, Kure Yuki, Fruits Basket, Takaya Natsuki, Gakuen Alice, Higuchi Tachibana, Okojo-banchou, Okojo-san, Uno Ayumi, Oniichan to Issho, Santa no Iru Machi, Tokeino Hari, Ouran High School Host Club, Hatori Bisco, Penguin Revolution, Tsukuba Sakura, Skip Beat!, Nakamura Yoshiki, V.B. Rose, Hidaka Banri, Vampire Knight, Hino Matsuri
~niki DBA huamulan03 (花木蘭03)
Bijo ga Yaju is © Matsumoto Tomo/HAKUSENSHA, INC. Indonesian translation rights in Indonesia arranged with HAKUSENSHA, INC. through TOHAN CORPORATION. Published under license from HAKUSENSHA, INC. All rights reserved. No infringement intended.
7&Y for helping me track down latest issues.