Busou Renkin © Watsuki Nobuhiro/Shueisha
Watsuki Nobuhiro's Busou Renkin 4 and Hikawa Kyouko's Otogi Moyou Ayanishiki, the fantasy shoujo manga retitled Fairy-Tale - Motif Brocade (what's with the munificence in dashes?) for Indonesian release, finally get a street date.
Busou Renkin 4
L.X.E. sends a new enemy against Kazuki x Tokiko: Hayasaka Ouka and Hayasaka Shusui. Kazuki's identity as an Alchemy Warrior is compromised when he activates his Busou Renkin in front of the dysfunctional siblings.
These two are my favorite "evil" twins outside of the Hitachiin brothers.
Fairy-Tale - Motif Brocade 1 by Hikawa Kyouko
Set in a time when spirits and monsters still freely roamed, Otogi Moyou Ayanishiki from the manga-ka of Kanata Kara (Dunia Mimpi) tells the story of Suzu, a young girl as normal as they come. But is Suzu really that unremarkable? If so, how come monsters love her (more than they do the average human) and she's always tripping over little youkai who adore dogging her footsteps?
One day, the Momohara family comes to Suzu's aid, proving that she's not exactly without help. Suzu discovers they're on the run from a fabric merchant named Genpachiro Ooki — the last person Suzu's father saw before he (Suzu's father) went missing.
When I first read Elex's Komikologi summary — which, if you'll notice, doesn't mention the guardian spirit in the flute Suzu inherited (that you'll encounter in every other summary of this series if you google the internets) — I was reminded of Shi to Kanojo to Boku AKA Death, the Girl, and Me (released in Indonesia as From the Other World): Suzu is analogous to Yukari in the monster love thing. But I've also read someone else comparing this series to Shounen Onmyouji, only with a girl as the hero. I guess I'll only know if/when I buy the first volume.
Speaking of buys, a mangazine one that's a sure GET!: HanaLaLa 35/2009, which doubles the Alice Academy fun (chapters 58-59 in this issue). Also looking forward to the usual hijinks in Hatori Bisco's Ouran High School Host Club, this time focusing on Honey-senpai and a vengeful member of the Black Magic Club. (It's not who you're thinking.)
Release links are hide/unhide. Click for more details and cover scans.
- 7 Seeds 13 of 14+ by Tamura Yumi
- Busou Renkin 4 of 10 by Watsuki Nobuhiro
- Dragon Drive 10 of 14 by Sakura Kenichi
- Et Cetera 7 of 9 by Nakazaki Tow
- [Premiere] Fairy-Tale - Motif Brocade (Otogi Moyou Ayanishiki) 1 of 5 by Hikawa Kyouko
- Ge Ge Ge Kitaro (Gegege no Kitarou: Youkai Sen Monogatari) 6 of 6+ by Hoshino Ryuichi & Mizuki Shigeru
- Imaginary Beasts (Genjuu no Seiza) 10 of 14 by Akino Matsuri
- [Box set @ IDR 135,000] InuYasha 1 - 10 (of 56) by Takahashi Rumiko
- Lum, The Invader Girl (Urusei Yatsura) 7 of 34 by Takahashi Rumiko
- Mr. Fullswing 18 of 24 by Suzuki Shinya
- The One Pound Gospel (1 Pound no Fukuin) 2 of 4 by Takahashi Rumiko
- Roadside Angel (Michibata no Tenshi) 2 of 4 by EMURA
- Seri Tokoh Dunia 53: Ronald Reagan by Norratri
- TOTO! 2 of 5 by Osada Yu-Ko
- Yukan Club 17 of 19 by Ichijo Yukari
(1) Sources: Elex Media forum (release schedule) and Komikologi January and February 2009 (for synopses unless indicated otherwise).
(2) All tankou above are IDR 13,800 each with the exceptions of the InuYasha box set, The One Pound Gospel 2 (IDR 15,000) and Seri Tokoh Dunia 53: Ronald Reagan (IDR 14,800).
(3) are Amazon.com search and/or product links (commercial), in case you're interested in another language version.
Roadside Angel 2
「 道端の天使 」 (Michibata no Tenshi) by EMURA
Catrew's gotten used to living with the Ark family and in fact, will soon take the admissions test to the acrobat school. It's something she's been happily anticipating. Amalatte even made this gor-geous costume for her. But the test turns out to be the toughest ever, and the other hopefuls are not about to let Catrew pass without struggle.
And the award goes to... Busou Renkin 4!
Most Favored Manga-ka this list
And the award goes to (part II)... Takahashi Rumiko-sensei! She's got three series here: InuYasha, The One Pound Gospel, and LUM, The Invader Girl. With these gold mines, plus the new series she's reported to start serializing soon, it's no wonder she's one of Japan's wealthiest.
Highlights of this issue:
- Alice Academy: Double chapter (Story 58-59) and front cover
Kanazuki from the Black Magic Club lobs one curse after another at Honey-senpai for having
stolen her soul (or at least, occupying 90% of her thoughts). Sadly, Honey-senpai doesn't remember having done a thing to her!
- Arakure - The Wild Ones (Arakure) by Fujiwara Kiyo (chapter 14)
- Dragon's Fiancé (Ryuu no Hanawazurai) by Kusakawa Nari (chapter 6)
- English School Wars (Eikaiwa School Wars) by Matsumoto Tomo (chapter 7)
- Fruits Basket by Takaya Natsuki (chapter 119)
- La Corda D'Oro (Kin Iro no Corda) by Kure Yuki (chapter 36)
- Mr. ERMINE (Okojo-san) by Uno Ayumi (chapters 69-70)
- Mr. ERMINE Si Penguasa (Okojo-banchou) by Uno Ayumi (chapters 14-15)
- Penguin Revolution (Penguin Kakumei) by Tsukuba Sakura (chapter 24)
- Skip Beat! by Nakamura Yoshiki (chapter 81)
- Vampire Knight by Hino Matsuri (chapter 13)
- V.B. Rose by Hidaka Banri (chapter 35)
- With My Brothers (Oniichan to Issho) by Tokeino Hari (chapter 34)
Six titles on this list (including the HanaLaLa anthology) appear in Elex's February monthly manga schedule, albeit two of them, The One Pound Gospel 2 and Mr. Fullswing 18, had been outstanding since November and December respectively. There's one betwixt (in-between) release—Dragon Drive 10 (only volumes 9 and 11 were advised in the monthlies)—while two more are advanced releases, i.e., they don't appear in any monthly schedule (Imaginary Beasts 10 and TOTO! 2).
The manga box sets are never advised, but I never expected InuYasha to get the boxed treatment (though I should've). To parrot someone over at the EMO forum, had I known that Elex would eventually re-release InuYasha volumes 1 through 10, I would never have gone through the trouble of collecting them one by one (and if you see my manga library, you'll find that I quit accumulation at volume 21).
Five manga are ex-January: 7SEEDS 13, Busou Renkin 4 (which had been advised as releasing in both November 2008 and January 2009), Otogi Moyou Ayanishiki 1, LUM, The Invader Girl 7, and Yukan Club 17.
Oh. And there's the edu-manga series on world figures, which this time features the 40th U.S. prexy Ronald Reagan (not included in the monthly sked).
m&c! 18 February 2009 manga: My Sweet Kaichou 3!!
~niki DBA huamulan03 (花木蘭03)
Cover images and source summaries used here are © their respective intellectual rights holders. No infringement intended.
manga available this week (11 February 2009 street date)
- Elex Media: C.M.B. 6, Rose Hip Zero 1, MÄR 8, Kitchen Princess 8, Sherlock Holmes 9: The Adventure of the Copper Beeches / The Boscombe Valley Mystery, Shonen Magz 56
- m&c!: Special A 10, Lovely Days 6 of 6, Sprout 7 of 7, Cynical Orange 5, Cherry 29, Happy Dining Table
No Level Comics manga on 10 February 2009.
...and the next (17 February 2009 street date)
Level Comics: Descendants of Darkness 4 and For You in Full Blossom (Hana-Kimi) 21
other invaluable resources
manga, Elex Media, HanaLaLa, josei, seinen, shoujo, shounen, 1 Pound no Fukuin, 7SEEDS, Busou Renkin, Dragon Drive, Et Cetera, Fairy-Tale - Motif Brocade, Gegege no Kitarou, Genjuu no Seiza, InuYasha, Michibata no Tenshi, Mr. Fullswing, Otogi Moyou Ayanishiki, Toto!, Urusei Yatsura, Yukan Club, Takahashi Rumiko