This week

Manga street datesElex: 9.03 · Level: 9.03 · m&c!: 9.03
Anime (on Animax Asia):
[Series premiere] The File of Young Kindaichi, 2 Sep 2014, Tue, 1030pm WIB
(airs Mon – Wed)
Bleach Season 7, weekdays, 630pm WIB
Space Dandy Season 2, Sundays 9pm WIB

5.29.2011

[Review] Shingeki no Kyojin by Isayama Hajime: Humans vs Giants (or Titans), who will win? [UPDATED]

Update: Level Comics confirms it has licensed this series (See Editor in Chief demonbasher-san's comment below). Remember, you heard it here first :D

進撃の巨人 1

Shingeki no Kyojin © Isayama Hajime/Kodansha
[First serialized in Bessatsu Shounen Magazine]
Licensed for Indonesian release by Level Comics

Shingeki no Kyojin by Isayama Hajime: Humans vs Giants (or Titans), who will win?
Review/recommendation by baka-girl (Some rights reserved)
Rating: 8.5 of 10 ♥

Finally! Time for a shounen manga review! This one was good enough to inspire me to write a review. You know what that means right? It means I really like it! :D. This one is spoiler free, I don't want to spoil your fun. Though actually I wanted to write more about the recent volume. Well, maybe in another post xD

Summary

Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants.

Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a super giant that appears out of thin air. As the smaller giants flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every single giant and take revenge for all of mankind.
-Excerpted from Baka-Updates Manga

Impressions

Actually I read volume 1 of Shingeki no Kyojin around one month ago. I just decided to read the second and third volume yesterday. At first, I only rated it 7/10 in my MAL. But after reading volume 2, which was awesome, I'm craving for more.

Let me make it clear before you decide to read this manga. This one contains quite a lot of creepy and gruesome scenes. From the cover alone, you must know that it's not going to be the usual shoujo stuff we have in TC. Baka-Updates classifies Shingeki no Kyojin as Action, Drama Fantasy, Horror, Mature, Mystery, Shounen, Supernatural and Tragedy. If you aren't familiar with these genres, I suggest you don't read it. But if you're already familiar with this stuff, you must read this one since it's awesome. It won the 35th annual Kodansha Manga award for Best Shounen for a reason!

So, what's so good about this manga? The artwork isn't really to my liking, but it's still acceptable. The best part about this series is its story. As I've stated before, I didn't read volume 2 right away after I finished volume 1 even though volume 1 ended with quite a cliffhanger. Well, the story in volume 1 was good, yet didn't enough to make me want to read volume 2 right away. BUT, I completely jaw-dropped after what happened in volume 2 chapter 7 (when 'that thing' goes WHAM). I changed my opinion completely after this point. Actually what happened here was not so unpredictable yet it's still felt so great for me! Darn, do I sound so excited about this series? You should read it yourself to understand what I felt :p

This series was scanlated by Gantz_Waitingroom (three volumes released). If you ask me about the chance for an Indonesian version, I'd say it's not zero. I hope Level can publish it because it's so good. »Edit As noted above, Level has licensed Shingeki no Kyojin.

Rating

Maybe it's a little biased (since I really love this kind of manga), but I'm giving this series 8.5 of 10 ♥. Make sure that you buy this series if it's released in your country.

disclaimer

Shingeki no Kyojin images used here for reference are © Isayama Hajime/Kodansha. No infringement intended.

invaluable resources

Baka-Updates Manga · 7net Shopping (cover)

Updated 2011.05.30

Recent posts