Update | NikBabble™ returneth! Mwahahaha!
Premium affixed to Kungfu Boy indicates a bunko release, presumably for shounen classics, in the same way
Deluxe singles out shoujo ones (e.g., Topeng Kaca Deluxe, Here is Greenwood Deluxe, Harmoni Deluxe). Wonder when the top DO WANT! manga below will rate that honor? (Obviously, it has to bunkoban (dare I hope even...aizoban??) issue in Japan first.)
The file detailing the vampire attack on Yuki 10 years ago bursts into flames in Yuki's hands. Meanwhile, Aido begins to wonder about his liege Kaname and the true cause of Kaname's parents' mysterious deaths. What secret does Kaname hide from Yuki and Aido?
From Zero to Hero(ine). That's actually what I titled my Vampire Knight 6 review (based on the Chuang Yi English edition). Because not only does Yuki wrastle the spotlight back from Zero, she actually establishes that SHE's the VK pivot. Despite its Yuki-centric-ness, however, I ended up giving this tank a grade of 8 of 10.
Intrigued? Click the review link if you don't mind spoilage and/or have read the VK installments in (much-missed) HanaLaLa. The pertinent
Nights/chapters are: 25th Night:
Vampires & Evening Party (ex-HanaLaLa 47/2010); 26th Night:
‘Kaname...’ (HanaLaLa 48/2010); 27th Night:
‘Archive Room’ (HanaLaLa 49/2010); 28th Night:
Kuran's Family (HanaLaLa 50/2010); and 29th Night:
The Awakening of a Fetus (HanaLaLa 51/2010). Completing volume 6 is the tankou-only side story
Master Kaname and Me (Chuang Yi's title) or
So the next volume should already surpass the farewell HanaLaLa edition's last 33rd Night,
The Pure Blood Vampire's Lover.
Premiering alongside Maekawa Takeshi's Kungfu Boy Premium are Igarashi Yumiko's Red Haired Anne 5—based on Anne of the Island, the third book in L.M. Montgomery's classic Anne of Green Gables series—and the horror josei mystery My 17th Spring by A-list author Ono Fuyumi & (predominantly yaoi and BL manga-ka) Yamamoto Kotetsuko.
© Maekawa Takeshi/
Published in Indonesia
as Kungfu Boy Premium
by Elex Media
I'm sure you already know what Kungfu Boy, originally Tekken Chinmi, is all about...what, you don't? OK, it follows this kungfu whiz foretold to perfect Dairin Temple's martial arts, who will supposedly appear in or around the temple's centennial. Fists of iron (the reason why the series is also called Ironfist Chinmi), legs capable of pulverizing rock, genius-level IQ and vision rivaling that of an eagle (he prolly has
extremely large pupils that ensure minimal diffraction of light, too) designate the Prophesied One. He will hail from the west and sport a mole on his forehead. Oh, and he will still have to actually learn kungfu.
Meanwhile, in Red Haired Anne 5, Anne leaves Prince Edward Island and her work as a teacher in Avonlea for further education. Along with Gilbert, who continues his studies in in Nova Scotia, and Philip and new friends, Anne discovers what is precious to her.
I reserve the My 17th Spring preview for after the release list. Extended rambling dakara.
Wonder of eye-popping wonders, no LXO regular Snoopy danced at the prospect of the Naruto volumes 41 to 50 box set—at least, not when I checked. Now I doubt Naruto and Sasuke and Jiraiya and Pain have lost their appeal, but that IDR 160,000 price tag might've had something to do with the Let me count the money in my wallet caution. When Elex issued the earlier Naruto box sets, each 10-volume value bundle cost IDR 135,000, so the new price is up by some 18.5%.
- A Story of Heroes (Heroes) 35 of 37 by Choi Mir (Daiwon C.I.)
- Bakeru kun Pika-pika 4 of 5 by Fujiko F. Fujio
- Detektif Conan Spesial 35 of 36+ (Meitantei Conan Special) by Aoyama Gosho, Abe Yutaka & Maru Denjiro
- Doraemon: Gadget Cat from the Future 5 of 10 by Fujiko F. Fujio (Shogakukan English Comics)
- Dr. Koto (Dr. Koto Shinryoujo) 5 of 25+ by Yamada Takatoshi
- Flash of Wind (Kaze Hikaru) 29 of 29+ by Watanabe Taeko
- Katsu! 11 of 16 by Adachi Mitsuru
- Kekkaishi 5 of 33+ by Tanabe Yellow
- [Premiere] Kungfu Boy 1 of 18 (Premium) by Maekawa Takeshi
- Legend of the Cursed Sword (Pageomgi) 33 of 37 by Yeo BeopRyong & Park HuiJin
- [Series Premiere] My 17th Spring (Sugiru Juunana no Haru) 1 of 2 by Ono Fuyumi & Yamamoto Kotetsuko
- New Kobochan (Shin Kobo-chan) 1 of 20+ by Ueda Masashi - Reprint
- New Kobochan (Shin Kobo-chan) 2 of 20+ by Ueda Masashi - Reprint
- New Kobochan (Shin Kobo-chan) 3 of 20+ by Ueda Masashi - Reprint
- New Kobochan (Shin Kobo-chan) 4 of 20+ by Ueda Masashi - Reprint
- Reborn Kumiho (Shin Gumiho) 20 of 21 by Han HyunDong
- [Premiere] Red Haired Anne 5: Anne of the Island (Anne no Aijou) by Igarashi Yumiko
- The Tyr Chronicles (Tireujeongi) 5 of 11+ by Ra InSoo & Son ChangHo
- Vampire Knight 6 of 13+ by Hino Matsuri
- Want You 9 of 10 by Hwang MiRee
- Yakitate!! Japan 21 of 26 by Hashiguchi Takashi
[Release links are hide/unhide. Click for more details.]
- [Box set @ IDR 160,000] Naruto, Volumes 41-50 (of 55+) by Kishimoto Masashi
- Shonen Magz 5/2011 (Indonesian Shonen Magazine [Kodansha])
- Shonen Star 8/2011 (Indonesian Shonen Sunday [Shogakukan])
¹ Sources: Elex STO 4 May 2011 (release schedule) and Komikologi and/or Gramedia Shop (synopses, unless indicated otherwise).
² All GN retail for IDR 16,500 except Bakeru kun Pika-pika 4 (IDR 13,500), Doraemon: Gadget Cat from the Future 5 (IDR 25,000), Kungfu Boy 1 [Premium] (IDR 24,000) and New Kobochan 1-4 (IDR 15,000 each). Project X: Seven-Eleven carries an IDR 38,800 price tag while Shonen Magz 5/2011 and Shonen Star 8/2011 retail for IDR 30,000 per issue. The Naruto volumes 41-50 box set is priced at IDR 160,000/set.
³ are commercial Amazon search and/or product links (other language versions).
New Elex manga continued
Naoki and his younger sister Noriko vacation in their cousin Takashi's house for spring break. What they believe would be a relaxing holiday soon reshapes into a nightmare when the usually kind Takashi turns cold and irritable. What's worse, Takashi's mother, Aunt Mikiko, is found dead, an apparent suicide.
What exactly is haunting that house?
Baka-Updates Manga in its Sugiru Juunana no Haru synop clarifies the
17 in the title. Apparently, Takashi has always been plagued by visions, the specters growing unignorable as his 17th birthday looms. The same source adds
Ghosts to the tag smorgasbord already consisting of Personality Change, Cousins, Older Brother/Younger Sister and horror.
The two-volume josei series originally serialized in the monthly shoujo web comic Spica, but Gentosha published it under its (seinen) Birz Comics imprint. It appears to be the mangafication of Ono Fuyumi's Sugiru Juunana no Haru Kodansha X Bunko White heart girls' horror light novel published April 1995 — if similarity of these synopses and the name-dropping are anything to go by. (Not beyond the realm of creepy possibility, what with the Akuryou/Ghosthunt precedent.) Even if not, it still belongs to the Sugiru Juunana no Haru 'verse by virtue of naming.
Although Ono Fuyumi-sensei is best known for The Twelve Kingdoms (illustrated by Yamada Akihiro) and Ghosthunt (manga by Inada Shiho), she collaborates with Fujisaki Ryu-sensei on Shiki, the ongoing supernatural shounen manga serialized in Jump SQ (the anime adaptation concluded last December). She and Yamamoto Kotetsuko-sensei have also produced another seinen horror mystery, Kokushi no Shima or
Island of the Black Shrine (three tankou in regular release; two bunko). Ono-sensei is credited (along with manga-ka Kajiwara Niki) with yet another seinen horror series Toukei Ibun, published by Level Comics as Strange Tales of Tokyo.
Project X: Seven-Eleven
© Project X Team/
Published in Indonesia
by Elex Media
Albeit left out from Elex's 5.04 comics list (lobbed into the management books section), I include Project X: Seven-Eleven: Amateurs who Created Convenience Stores among the manga, not only because (1) I frequent 7-Eleven with alarming regularity (I'm addicted to the instapuccino) and (2) I've only reported this title as early as August 2009, but more because it really IS a manga, business reference notwithstanding.
Oh, synopsis? It details the struggle of Shimizu Hideo and Suzuki Toshifumi, the two businessmen behind Seven-Eleven in Japan, a concept they adopted from the United States so successfully, the Japanese franchisee eventually bought out the American chain.
Digital Manga Publishing, publisher of the English Project X: Challengers - Seven Eleven, credits the tome to Tadashi Ikuta and Namoi Kimura. (Couldn't see the names on the Elex cover.)
Goto Kensuke alias Dr. Koto continues to devote himself to his job as the only physician on the remote island of Koshiki. But one day, a man suffering from terminal cancer travels to the island to spend his last days there. Apparently, the man also used to be a doctor detailed to the island 41 years ago. He refuses Dr. Koto's offer to undergo surgery, claiming that prolonging his life by a few more months is useless.
At that point, a female patient is rushed in, suffering from imminent abortion. And before a new life about to be born, Dr. Koto and the elderly doctor realize...
[Additions from Kana's Dr Kotô tome 5 synopsis]
Who could this big, donut-lurvin' god be? He hasn't been seen around around these parts in 50 years.
Kekkaishi 5 also contains, aside from
Yang Mulia Uro (
Lord Uro, chapter 37),
Hari-Hari Toshimori (
Toshimori's Days, chapter 41) and the story of three young ayakashi who infiltrate the sacred land Yoshimori and Tokine guard (
White Feather Kids, chapter 44). The other chapters identified with Wiki's and PIKA Édition's help are:
What is Karasumori? (chapter 36);
Colorless Marsh (#38);
Divine Field (#39);
Footprints of the Divine (#40);
Feathers (#43); and
Tokine's Arrow (#45).
Who stands to get flattened in the final pancake battle between Azuma and He?
As if battling the champion pastry chef van der Hesselink in the seventh round of the Yakitate!! 25 weren't enough, Team Pantasia still has to hurdle yet another flatbread challenge: a pizza contest against the Italian Marco Ciccolini. [Additions from VIZ Media's English Yakitate!! Japan, Vol.21 blurb and Leroy Douresseaux-san's review of the same volume.]
The rest of the ongoing series
A Story of Heroes 35
© Choi Mir/Daiwon C.I.
Published in Indonesia
by Elex Media
- A Story of Heroes 35 by Choi Mir: Sami's Kwima suddenly appears as the Moon God takes the golden pearl of the sky. Kwima is accompanied by the Battle God who is none other than the brother of the Sojang party head, who must now kill his brother to save Yushin and his friends.
- Detektif Conan Spesial 35 by Aoyama Gosho, Abe Yutaka & Maru Denjiro: Conan, along with his classmates and friends, attend a film premiere on board the luxury liner Ekaterina II, little knowing that the ship incubates a virus created by the Black Organization. Can Conan, Professor Agasa and Ai foil the syndicate's evil plans?
- Flash of Wind 29 by Watanabe Taeko: Hitotsubashi Yoshinobu stands firm in refusing the title of Shogun, preferring to simply head the Tokugawa clan. But will resolve be enough to quell the discontent of the Ito faction within the Shinsengumi?
- Katsu! 11 by Adachi Mitsuru: Katsuki trains for the Inter High as Misaki and Uchida discover that not only did they meet (and become friends) in childhood, they both idolized Akamatsu Ryusuke. Katsuki, too, decides to finally watch the match between Rabbit Sakaguchi and Akamatsu and learns one surprising fact.
- Reborn Kumiho 20 by Han HyunDong: Kumiho awakens to her evil instincts, forcing Maru to try returning her to consciousness. But his efforts appear doomed as Black Kumiho tempts him to commit evil.
- The Tyr Chronicles 5 by Ra InSoo & Son ChangHo: Can Tyr and his allies defeat Herion, the monster who can turn humans into zombies?
- Want You 9 by Hwang MiRee: Just as Herem realizes her feelings for Changnok, Changnok starts to avoid her. His cryptic behavior pushes Herem to leave Seoul and return to Kangwondo. Changnok simply watches as Herem walks away...
Some time before the martial arts tournament, who should present herself before Chinmi's strongest rival Shie Fan but a girl named Fu Ren. What lessons can Shie Fan teach this disciple?
- BECK by Harold Sakuishi (volume 25 per 2010.12.01)
- Blazer Drive by Kishimoto Seishi
- Code:Breaker by Kamijyo Akimine
- Fairy Tail by Mashima Hiro (volume 9 per 2010.10.13)
- Ghost's Doctor by Sato Yuki (volume 3 per 13 April)
- Kindaichi Case Files by Amagi Seimaru & Sato Fumiya
- Tokkyu! by Kubo Mitsuro & Komori Yoichi (volume 15 released 2010.10.06)
- Vinland Saga by Yukimura Makoto (volume 2 per 13 April)
The scrambling for Kohaku's Shikon no Tama peaks, with Kohaku choosing to give up the shard to Naraku to save Kagome, even if it means losing his life. Kohaku tries to purify Naraku's shard in his final moments but fails. What's going to happen to Kagome now?
- Appearance of the Yellow Dragon by Tamura Mitsuhisa
- ARAGO by Arai Takahiro
- Defense Devil by Youn InWan & Yang KyungIl (volume 3 per 13 April)
- My First Mr. Akuno by Fujiki Syun (volume 4 per 20 April)
- Takkoku!!! by Fukuchi Tsubasa
- Wild Life by Fujisaki Masato (volume 15 per 6 April)
- Yakitate!! Japan by Hashiguchi Takashi (volume 21 scheduled for 4 May )
What's Missing from the cover line-up, The Latter Part: Detektif Conan by Aoyama Gosho (volume 60 per 3.16); D-LIVE!! by Minagawa Ryouji; Dr. Koto by Yamada Takatoshi (volume 5 scheduled 5.04) and Kekkaishi by Tanabe Yellow (volume 5 scheduled for 5.04). Considering these serials (save D-LIVE!!) are still ongoing in Japan, I expect they'll pop up again in other issues, if they really aren't in this one.
Still not enuf? Here are the other 4 May 2011 manga and manhwa:
- Level Comics: Soul Eater 6 · XBlade 3 · Hikayat Genji 8 · Magister Negi Magi 25 · Basara 17 · The Fugitive Lawyer Makoto Narita 5 · Yokohama Chinatown Fantasy 5 · 3X3 Eyes 39 · Arms 19 · The Ravages of Time 9 · Priest 16 · Cubitus - Kena Kau! · Michel Vaillant - Operation Mirage
- m&c!: My Own Princess 2 · Magical X Miracle 5 · Aoizaka Baseball Club 19 · Give Me All Your Love 1 and 2 of 2 by Kurumatani Haruko · My Sweet Kaicho, Volumes 1-8 and You Can't Disappear from Me, Volumes 1-4 (of 4) RE-STO
Iamque opus exegi,
~niki DBA 30uɐlnɯɐnɥ (花木蘭03)
Mistress of Adoxography who reminds you to still pray for and support Japan
other invaluable resources
Elex Media · manga · manhwa · josei · kodomo · seinen · shoujo · shounen · sonyun · soonjung · A Story of Heroes · Bakeru-kun · Detektif Conan Spesial · Doraemon: Gadget Cat from the Future · Dr. Koto (Dr. Koto Shinryoujo) · Flash of Wind (Kaze Hikaru) · Katsu! · Kekkaishi · Kungfu Boy Premium · Legend of the Cursed Sword · My 17th Spring (Sugiru Juunana no Haru) · Naruto · New Kobochan (Shin Kobo-chan) · Project X: Seven-Eleven · Reborn Kumiho · Red Haired Anne: Anne of the Island (Anne no Aijou) · The Tyr Chronicles (Tireujeongi) · Vampire Knight · Want you · Yakitate!! Japan | Shonen Magz: Chinmi: The Other Story · Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle · Shonen Star: Inuyasha