Wild Life © Fujisaki Masato/Shogakukan [First serialized in Shonen Sunday]; Dr. Koto Shinryoujo © Yamada Takatoshi/Shogakukan [First serialized in Weekly Young Sunday, currently in Big Comic Original]; Defense Devil © Youn InWan & Yang KyungIl/Shogakukan [First serialized in Shonen Sunday]. Published in Indonesia as Wild Life, Dr. Koto and Defense Devil by Elex Media
Updated with Elex artwork and blurbs and substantial NikBabble™
Tessho treats poor people's pets for free, but his goodness of ♥ just lands him in hot water with Kanebakari, Meio University's stingy administrative chief. Kanebakari demands sanctions against Tessho for his sans university permission pro bono vet care.
And from vet, we move on to another manner of doctor, the middle of nowhere kind:
Goto Kensuke alias Dr. Koto is the only doctor on the remote island of Koshiki, and it's to his credit that he can even perform surgery in such an isolated place.
One day, Dr. Koto gets into an accident in the mountains. He suffers from compartment syndrome, dislocated shoulder and loses consciousness because of his internal injuries.
Who's going to treat the doctor when the doctor himself is out?
Oh, dear. Dr. Koto's sitch goes way beyond a big pinch...Will a scream in his ear rouse the good doctor? I'm convinced that everything will turn out all right — and with no busted eardrums to additionally plague our heroic doctor. (I look to volumes 7 through 25+ for 100% confirmation that Dr. Koto survives.)
Elex notes that the 2003 Shogakukan Manga Awardee Dr. Koto Shinryoujo has sold as many as nine million copies in its home country. Wonder if/when local Dr. Koto will reach an equivalent sales milestone?
More previews after the release list.
Fairy Tail's Elsa (Erza) and Natsu headline the latest Shonen Magz, albeit BECK's guitarist/singer Koyuki part-times as cover boy. Meanwhile, Idamaria is Shonen Star 14's cover exorcist nun because Defense Devil is apparently not content with just the volume 5 release this street date. [Moar babble on the Indonesian Shonen Magazine and Shonen Sunday serials (waay) below.]
- Bride of the Water God (Habaek-eui Shinbu) 3 of 15+ by Yun MiKyung
- Claymore 16 of 20+ by Yagi Norihiro
- Defense Devil 5 of 10 by Youn InWan & Yang KyungIl
- Demon King (Majeh) 34 of 38+ by Ra InSoo & Kim JaeHwan
- Doraemon 11 of 45 by Fujiko F. Fujio (Right-to-left edition)
- Dr. Koto (Dr. Koto Shinryoujo) 6 of 25+ by Yamada Takatoshi
- Lum, The Invader Girl (Urusei Yatsura) 30 of 34 by Takahashi Rumiko
- Mixim 11 volume 4 of 12 by Anzai Nobuyuki
- Real 10 of 10+ by Inoue Takehiko
- Spiral: The Bonds of Reason (Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna) 14 of 15 by Shirodaira Kyo & Mizuno Eita
- Vinland Saga 6 of 10+ by Yukimura Makoto
- Wild Life 19 of 27 by Fujisaki Masato
[Release links are hide/unhide. Click for more details.]
- Shonen Magz 8/2011 (Kodansha Shonen Magazine)
- Shonen Star 14/2011 (Shogakukan Shonen Sunday)
¹ Sources: Elex STO 10 August 2011 (release schedule) and Komikologi/Gramedia Shop (synopses, unless indicated otherwise).
² Manga and manhwa are priced at IDR 16,500 each except Real 10 (IDR 18,500). Shonen Magz and Shonen Star retail for IDR 30,000/issue.
³ are commercial Amazon search and/or product links (other language versions).
Soah eventually returns to the human world — minus her memories. She has forgotten everything about the Water Kingdom, including Habaek. Old friend Dongyong shows up, intending to wed the one-time sacrificial maiden.
Will Soah accept Dongyong's proposal and leave Habaek behind for good?
While I agree with Elex that this mystical Korean fairy tale features beautiful, sigh-worthy art, I can't quite work up the effort to fangirl Habaek, what more Soah, the titular, she remains the Bride of the Water God.
Excerpting the original Indonesian blurb because I have a point to make:
Awalnya, mereka sulit sekali kerjasama, tapi akhirnya Kucabara berhasil melepaskan Dark Matter yang tersegel dalam Idamaria, dan mendapatkan kekuatan yang besar. Lalu, mereka berdua akhirnya akan membuka gerbang menuju dunia iblis. Apakah mereka bisa menghadapi segala masalah yang terjadi di dunia iblis?
–Gramedia Shop synopsis
After I got through with it —
They couldn't work together in the beginning, but finally Kucabara manages to unseal the Dark Matter within Idamaria to fuel his powers. With this great power, Kucabara—and Idamaria—now attempt to open the gate to the demon world. Little do they expect the extent of the horror they will face.
Elex's summary sounds more like Wiki's volume 6 summary, which includes this provocative line that explains(?) what unsealing the Dark Matter entails:
Kucabara attempts to absorb the Dark Matter from Idamaria to return her back to normal by kissing her...
I only need that *chuu* to want to read this series. (Elex tries to persuade by emphasizing that Defense Devil is the brainchild of the duo that brought us Shin Angyo Onshi or Blade of the Phantom Master.)
Volume 5 collects Judgments 10 through 19 (chapters 38-47):
A Promise and a Contract,
Man and Woman,
To Each Their Own Battle,
Old Woman and Little Girl and
A Gift From Jupiter. [*NOT Elex/Shonen Star chapter titles]
Athlete - non-athlete. Does this division figure in human classification? They who are confined to wheelchairs break through barriers one at a time, and this time, they must conquer the devil ramp.
So the Indonesian Real catches up with the latest Japanese tank. Wiki observes that while it's not-quite Slam Dunk-popular, Real surpasses in eye-opening and poignant.
When Kirie's DNA tests on Ayumu, Hizumi, and their respective older brothers yield shocking results, the disgruntled Watcher confronts the only two people who can confirm the truth of Ayumu's parentage: his mom and dad. What she learns shakes her to the core, but how will Ayumu react when Hizumi reveals how science has warped their fates? Will Ayumu's resolve to save the Blade Children remain firm, or will anger and despair cause him to waver?
One more volume to go, but after the egregious spoi （￣へ￣） , I've lost all enthusiasm to marathon this shounen tantei/mystery series when it finishes, no matter how bishieful it is. Halp, Ayumu 八(＾□＾*) ﾀﾉﾑ!!
Spiral: The Bonds of Reason 14 compiles chapters 67-71:
The Paradox of the Twins,
The Freedom of Happiness,
The Duo's Sky,
In Your Darkness and
The Song Sung During the Day You Parted Ways (part 1). [*NOT Elex chapter titles
Other 10 August highlights
- Claymore 16 by Yagi Norihiro: The seven warriors are disheartened after Millia reveals the Yoma's true genesis. Claire travels west with Cynthia and Uma in search of Raki, and along the way, they meet Louvre again.
- Demon King 34 by Ra InSoo & Kim JaeHwan: To open the door to the hereafter, Murin gathers a thousand sacrifices, forcing the Demon King to a life and death match against Murin whose true plan is to eliminate the King of the Afterlife's position.
- Doraemon 11 by Fujiko F. Fujio: Nobita wants to do his homework the easy way, so he borrows Shizuka's head. Afterwards, Doraemon borrows Shizuka's foot. Not long after, everyone is borrowing something from Shizuka. Who's going to put Shizuka back together again??
- Lum, The Invader Girl 30 by Takahashi Rumiko: A super turkey escapes from the Turkey Research Institute. Whoever finds it stands to receive a handsome reward. The turkey finds its way into Ataru's house and the question on everyone's mind is: Should Ataru return the turkey or serve it up for Christmas dinner?
- Mixim 11 Vol. 4 by Anzai Nobuyuki: Virgo and Taurus, extinguished by Shadow-Matter's minions, flare back to life. Ichimatsu, Takezo and Koume hasten to save the other girl constellations. In the middle of a fierce battle, Ichimatsu activates his second NOVA.
- Vinland Saga 6 by Yukimura Makoto: The Maldon battle wages fierce, and the enemy commander Byrtnoth appears invincible. Even the formidable Thorkell is brought to his knees.
BECK © Harold Sakuishi
Kodansha [First serialized in
Monthly Shonen Magazine]
To stop Zelf rising, the Mage Council agrees to deploy Ethelion. Elsa, meanwhile, yields to Gerald. Ethelion is fired even as Natsu and Elsa remain in the Tower of Heaven. A demon smiles at Gerald for but a heartbeat; does this bode more ill than Elsa and Natsu can imagine?
As mentioned Above the Cut, Mashima Hiro's Fairy Tail is Shonen Magz 8's featured serial, but, but, Koyuki, what do you think you're doing with that guitar?? Don't throw a fit just because Harold Sakuishi's BECK's ‘latest’ tankou—volume 25—came out in December; volume 26 is skedded for 15th August.
According to the cover line-up, these
Absolutely Kewl! series also continue:
- Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE by CLAMP
- Code:Breaker by Kamijyo Akimine
- School Rumble by Kobayashi Jin
- Kungfu Boy Legends by Maekawa Takeshi
- Ghost's Doctor by Sato Yuki
- Tokkyu! by Kubo Mitsuro & Komori Yoichi
- Vinland Saga by Yukimura Makoto
- Blazer Drive by Kishimoto Seishi
With the exception of Fairy Tail (volume 10 released 20 July), Ghost's Doctor (volume 6 per 7.20), Vinland Saga (volume 6 streets with ShoMagz 8) and BECK (volume 26 skedded 18 August), other series compiles were last seen in 2010: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (volume 17 per 2010.10.27); School Rumble (volume 11 per 2010.06.16); Kungfu Boy Legends (volume 9 released 2010.09.22); and Tokkyu! (volume 15 per 2010.10.06).
Defense Devil © Youn InWan
& Yang KyungIl/Shogakukan
Kucabara meets the relationship-destroying demon who entraps him into a duel with Bichura at the Wall of Regret. Can Kucabara escape fighting Bichura?
Similar to what I noted in Defense Devil 5, this here blurb also reads like Wiki's volume 6 synop. So assuming that it refers to one (or more) of that tank's chapters (Judgments 20-29). If I'm wrong, then... *shrugs* But more than Mephisto Barto Dertov Reffertlark Kucabara having to duel with Bichura, I wanna know what's happening with our Defense Devil and love interest Idamaria. She looks a tad wistful.
The other ShoStars per cover roll call:
- ARAGO by Arai Takahiro
- D-LIVE!! by Minagawa Ryouji
- Magi by Ohtaka Shinobu
- Dr. Koto by Yamada Takatoshi
- Inuyasha by Takahashi Rumiko
- Kekkaishi by Tanabe Yellow
- Wild Life by Fujisaki Masato
- Detektif Conan by Aoyama Gosho
- The World God Only Knows by Wakaki Tamiki
- Appearance of the Yellow Dragon by Tamura Mitsuhisa
- My First Mr. Akuno by Fujiki Syun
Elex claims that Shonen Star compiles more series, but that doesn't preclude temporary disappearances here and there. I don't see Fukuchi Tsubasa's Takkoku!!! in the line-up, for one. But I will grant that SS compilation is more diligent: Wild Life 19 streets with the Shonen Star 14, as does Dr. Koto 6. Detektif Conan 63, Kekkaishi 8 and My First Mr. Akuno 5 are penciled for 15 August. Inuyasha 53 came out 13 July and even the pro tem missing Takkoku!!! released volume 2 on 20 July.
Still not enuf? Here are the other 10 August 2011 manga and manhwa
Level Comics: GTO Shonan 14 Days 2 · Team Medical Dragon 18 · Bambino! 13 · Love Affair 10 · Jio 17 · Kowloon's Seekers 3 of 3 · Shattered Knife 8 · Karakuri Circus 4 · Devil Devil 4 · Officer Monju 9 · Tanguy & Laverdure - Bahaya Di Angkasa · Boule & Bill - Sirkus Keren! · Yakari - Yakari dan Si Tanduk Bercabang
m&c!: Love Button 3 · My Life 5 of 5 · Crab Kiss 5 · Cherry is Everywhere 2 of 2 · Meet the Banchou 8 · My Lovely Class Leader 2 · Spray King 1 by Mikuni Shin · Princess Gal Paradise 2 · Dewa Iblis Awan Api II No. 1 by Tony Wong
Iamque opus exegi,
~niki DBA 30uɐlnɯɐnɥ (花木蘭03)
Mistress of Adoxography
Cover images and source summaries used here for reference are © their respective intellectual rights holders. No infringement intended.