Update: Nau exclusively Elex covers (plus a few tweaks here and there)
Barista © Muronaga Kumi & Hanagata Rei/Houbunsha
[Serialized in Shuukan Manga Times]
Published in Indonesia by Elex Media
Before we start ordering some kohi,
Houi! Jouso! Ketsu! first:
Yagyou sends Gen's master Hanashima Atora to train Karasumori's guardians, and Yoshimori, Gen and Tokine will have to show that they have teamwork in spades, or else. Meanwhile, Shigemori's pal Matsudo Heisuke registers on Kokuboro's radar and...
VIZ hints at a looming disaster for our three
kekkaishi-in-arms in its Kekkaishi, Vol. 9 synop:
Their loyalty to each other is really tested when the Kokuboro princess falls ill, and the ayakashi attempt to cure her! Plus, Gen receives a strange gift from an enemy—one that may reveal something about himself that he would prefer not to know! (Yeah, yeah, you saw it in the anime; now read the source manga.)
Kekkaishi 9 compiles chapters 76 through 85:
Gagin and Hekian,
The Final Journey,
The Master's Throne and
Agony. [*NOT Elex chapter titles]
For more recent Kekkaishi chapters, check out the Indonesian Shonen Sunday—Shonen Star—still running Tanabe Yellow's shounen award-winner. Issue 16/2011 streeted 14 September. Kekkaishi ended in Japan with the release of volume 35 on 18 August.
Q.E.D. 37 of 40+ by Katou Motohiro
Elex understates it when it describes Katou Motohiro's shounen tantei manga Q.E.D. (the other top DO WANT! this release sked) as just an
exciting and compelling detective story. I wax eloquent about this manga
Quite Elegantly Done here, but for those who don't need Q.E.D.'ing, blurb —
Murder strikes at the heart of the FBI. "Criminal Profiling" seminar participant Seto Koichi, lead investigator in the case of confiscated drug theft within the police force, is found dead in his room. Suspicion falls on his partner Arita Seiji. How will Toma solve this case?
Elex's Q.E.D. preview refers to
Kuliah Pembunihan or Magazine E-no's July 2010 issue. The other case collected in volume 37 is the anime-troped
Anima (September 2010 issue).
And speaking of E-no, that mangazine ceased publication in June and was replaced by Monthly Shōnen Magazine +. Q.E.D. moves to the new mangazine, alongside a new Q.E.D./C.M.B. crossover starring Q.E.D.'s Touma Sou and his equally genius cousin, C.M.B.'s Sakaki Shinra this October. (Also speaking of C.M.B., volume 16 is scheduled for 28 September.)
Japanese Kouki Aoi works as a barista in an Italian bar in Rome. Because of his expertise, a major player invites him to establish an Italian bar back home.
(Yup, switched the former synopsis with the one on the back cover blurb.)
Elex focuses on the seinen manga's
more mature and laid-back narrative style. My question: In comparison to what? (Starts thinking of other similarly-set titles and can only come up with...The Drops of God, the Coffee version :P)
Volume 1 spans eight episodes:
Caffè latte ajaib,
Mocca harta karun,
Suka duka apprendista,
Bar sejati and
Harga diri primo.
- [Series Premiere] Barista 1 of 5+ by Muronaga Kumi and Hanagata Rei
- BECK 27 of 34 by Harold Sakuishi
- Dodge Fighters (Ganbare! Dodgeball Fighters) 7 of 10 by Murakami Toshiya & Saito Muneo
- Kekkaishi 9 of 35 by Tanabe Yellow
- Kojiro 2 of 7 by Muraeda Kenichi
- Mixim 11 volume 5 of 12 by Anzai Nobuyuki
- Natane 2 of 6 Deluxe (Nijiiro Togarashi [Bunko]) by Adachi Mitsuru
- Q.E.D. Quod Erat Demonstrandum (Q.E.D. Shomei Shuryo) 37 of 40+ by Katou Motohiro
- RAVE - Plue's Dog Diaries (Rave: Plue no Inu Nikki) 3 of 3 by Mashima Hiro [Finale]
[Release links are hide/unhide. Click for more details.]
¹ Sources: Elex STO 22 September 2011 (release schedule) and Komikologi and Gramedia Shop (synopses, unless indicated otherwise).
² All manga retail for IDR 16,500 except Natane 2 Deluxe (IDR 24,000).
² are commercial Amazon search and/or product links (other language versions).
New title - Barista - continued
Other Hanagata Rei manga
Barista appears to be the second coffee-centric seinen manga written by Hanagata Rei: the first, Coffee Dream, was illustrated by Hiramasu Osamu. Five (of 5) volumes were published in Japan between August 2006 and June 2008.
His/her backlist also includes the cooking manga Don-na-Mondai! (art by Yoshikai Kanji), first serialized in 2009 in Nihon Bungeisha's Shokuman and compiled in two volumes as at December 2010; the ex-Shuukan Manga Times
A Time for Cheese Cheese no Jikan (with Yamaguchi Yoshinobu; five volumes published between February 2009.02 and April 2010); the one-volume romance comedy amid Chinese food and language barriers China Girl, drawn by Aoyama Kei and serialized in Big Comic Superior (compiled into one volume 2009.07). And starting from volume 3 (published 2008.07), Hanagata Rei shares credit with Imatani Tecchuu for Big Comics' Ojuken no Hoshi (volume 4 per 2008.11).
Nihon Bungeisha released Hanagata Rei- and Yoshikai Kanji's Gattsuri Donburi Special under the G Comics imprint on 2011.09.17.
Other Muronaga Kumi manga
Before Barista, Muronaga Kumi drew Cut - Katsujin, the seinen manga starring a "Hair Magician" working in upscale Omotesando, first serialized in Young Sunday. Two volumes have been released in Japan between August 2007 and April 2008.
Plue started his adventures surrounded by friends; guess how our dog ends his exploits?
The number of Plue's homies continues to grow and per usual, Plue spends days with Paper, Roji, Tamiko in all manner of silliness. But what's this? It's Plue's birthday? What kind of celebration has his friends lined up?
Other 22 September 2011 highlights
- Beck 27 by Harold Sakuishi: The Avalon Festival shortlist is set to be announced, and rumor has it that a big-name band that has never performed at the festival will participate. Room 13's up on the board, but still no mention of BECK...
- Dodge Fighters 7 by Murakami Toshiya & Saito Muneo: Super Catch Powers' coach Ohta accuses Coach Kamiguro of having sabotaged his former dodge ball team. The situation worsens when the Dodge Fighters face off against Super Catch Powers in the second game.
- Kojiro 2 by Muraeda Kenichi: Kojiro's younger sister Nagisa attends the same school in which he teaches and has never imagined that she has a brother, let alone one like Kojiro. To her, he's nothing more than an eyesore; virtually a xenophobe, she detests anything connected to the west, be it appearance or language. (Imma assume this Nagisa is THE Imouto Sensei Nagisa.)
- Mixim 11 Vol. 5 by Anzai Nobuyuki:
With Ichimatsu's death match with Pandora abruptly halted, a mysterious girl suddenly appears to challenge Ichimatsu, but is she friend or foe? Can Ichimatsu and friends trust the mysterious Momoko as they embark on a thirty-day plan to shape up?[Excerpted from Chuang Yi's Mixim 11 Vol.5 description] » Apparently, Mysterious Momoko is Gemini, the constellation under whom Ichimatsu takes...training lessons.
- Natane 2 Deluxe by Adachi Mitsuru: Shichimi runs into his dad but of course doesn't know that that was his father. One day, the six siblings decide to visit their mom's grave. The trip to remember the past begins!
I will be back to replace with Elex covers when they become available. » Done
Still not enuf? Here are the other 22 September 2011 manga
Level Comics: Bambino! 14 · Black Lagoon 8 · Giant Killing 7 · Jepang Tenggelam 15 of 15 · Jio 18 · Miso Com 11 · Eternal Sabbath 6 · Fight!! Ippo 84 · Marsupilami - Serbuk Sari Urticando · Lanfeust of Troy - Gading Magohamoth by Arleston - Tarquin
m&c!: Love Button 4 · Namida Usagi ~Tears of First Love~ 4 · ASSASSINS by Satogane Shou · Eighty Eight 1 by Namiki Hiromi · Love, Romance and the World 2 · My Clumsy Boy 1-2 of 2 by Kumaoka Fuyu · Long Hu Men - Next Level 7
Iamque opus exegi,
~niki DBA 30uɐlnɯɐnɥ (花木蘭03)
Mistress of Adoxography
Cover images and source summaries used here for reference are © their respective intellectual rights holders. No infringement intended.