Rather strike out on the weekly shopping list altogether, posting a MinimaList. (But then again, you're prolly ecstatic at the absence of NikBabble™ :P) Update: Corrected the post title and added synopses and artwork
Gekijouban Meitantei Conan Seikimatsu no Majutsushi © Aoyama Gosho/Shogakukan (Shonen Sunday Comics Visual Selection). Published in Indonesia as Conan Movie: The Last Wizard of the Century by Elex Media
Elex jumps from the first Conan Movie (The Time Bombed Skyscraper) to the third, The Last Wizard of the Century, without so much as a Why leapfrog The Fourteenth Target. Is it because Phantom Thief Kid's a bigger draw than random victims killed in no particular order in the second The Fourteenth Target? Your guess is as good as mine.
At any rate, in The Last Wizard of the Century manga, based on the Meitantei Conan Seikimatsu no Majutsushi feature that premiered on 17 April 1999 in Japan, Phantom Thief Kid targets a newly-discovered Fabergé egg on display at Osaka's Suzuki Modern Art Museum. In his notice, he IDs himself
The Last Wizard of the Century. Conan joins the chase after the Magic Thief disappears after being shot in the eye as he tries to make his getaway. [Additions from Wikipedia] (I preview to the finale, The Last Wizard of the Century - Last—and the other debut, Mr. Ermine by Uno Ayumi—after the release list; up next, the top DO WANT!)
Members of the underground Dollars convene; the unprecedented F2F gathering promises to shed light on the gang's origins.
But what is Mikado's connection to the Dollars?
Yeah, yeah, you know the answer if you watched the anime; just don't spoil it for those who are following the manga exclusively :)
Mangazines: Nakayoshi Gress! 12/2011 and Shonen Star 22/2011
Previews of featured series—Yamada Daisy's Innocent World and Aso Haro's premiering Alice in Borderland—after the release list.
- [Series Premiere] Conan Movie: The Last Wizard of the Century - First (Gekijouban Meitantei Conan Seikimatsu no Majutsushi) by Aoyama Gosho
- [Premiere] Conan Movie: The Last Wizard of the Century - Last (Gekijouban Meitantei Conan Seikimatsu no Majutsushi) by Aoyama Gosho [Finale]
- Crayon Shinchan vol 10 of 50+ by Usui Yoshito «Ex-12.14
- DRRR!! [Durarara!!] vol 4 of 4 by Satorigi Akiyo, Narita Ryohgo [Finale]
- I Hate You More Than Anyone (Sekai de Ichiban Daikirai) vol 8 of 13 by Hidaka Banri «Ex-11.02
- [Series Premiere] Mr. Ermine (Okojosan) vol 1 of 8 by Uno Ayumi
- Natane vol 5 of 6 Deluxe (Nijiiro Togarashi [Bunko]) by Adachi Mitsuru
- Tale of the Sea King (Kaiouki) vol 40 of 45 by Kawahara Masatoshi
- Nakayoshi Gress! Issue 12/2011 (Indonesian Nakayoshi)
- Shonen Star Issue 22/2011 (Indonesian Shonen Sunday) «Ex-12.14
¹ Sources: Elex STO 21 December 2011 (release schedule) and Komikologi and Gramedia Shop (synopses and artwork, unless indicated otherwise).
² All manga retail for IDR 16,500 each except Conan Movie: The Last Wizard of the Century First and Last (IDR 42,000/volume), Crayon Shinchan 10 (IDR 21,800) and bunko Natane 5 Deluxe (IDR 24,000). Magazines Nakayoshi Gress! 12/2011 and Shonen Star 22/2011 are priced at for IDR 30,000/issue.
³ are commercial Amazon search and/or product links (other language versions).
New titles - continued
The mystery of the stolen Fabergé Egg brings Conan, Ran and Kogoro to a castle built by Kousaka Kiichi, a Japanese who once worked for Fabergé, now suspected of having produced the jeweled egg.
The riddle of why Kid wanted the egg promises to lift the veil of secrecy shrouding one of history's mysteries, guarantees Elex. Me? I just want to know why Kaitou Kid was calling himself
The Last Wizard of the Century.
Indifferent college student Tsuchiya gets an unexpected roommate. The pet that arbitrarily decides to live with him at his apartment is not a dog, not a cat, not even a (non-venomous) snake. It's a Mustela erminea (an okojo in Japanese), and boy, does he ever have attitude!
Uno Ayumi's Mr. Ermine (Okojosan) serialized in the now-defunct HanaLaLa, the Indonesian Hana to Yume/LaLa. According to Wiki, as quoted by Baka-Updates Manga,
Okojo struggles to adapt to life with humans, vacuum cleaners, and all the other things that come with human society. Mr. ERMINE - The Other Legend (Okojosan Gaiden) and Mr. ERMINE - Si Penguasa (Okojobanchou) also serialized in HanaLaLa.
The LaLa and LaLa DX manga also got the anime treatment. Shiawase Sou no Okojosan aired on TV Tokyo from October 2001 to September 2002, a total of 51 episodes. Seiyuu Sawashiro Miyuki (Beelzebub/Berubō in Beelzebub) voiced Kojopii or Okojosan and Koizumi Yutaka (Sato Tatsuhiro in Welcome to the NHK), Tsuchiya Haruka.
Other Uno Ayumi manga
Other than the shoujo slice-of-life Okojosan (eight Hana to Yume Comics tankou from 2001.10 to 2005.05) and Shiawase Sou no Okojo-san (Hakusensha Jets Comics: 2001.10), Uno Ayumi-sensei also created the josei Konatsu Fighter, first serialized in Shueisha's Chorus (two of two Queens Comics volumes between 2010.12 and 2011.09), the comics essay compile Burari Saiban Bocho (first serialized in Akita Shoten's Elegance Eve; compiled in tankou by Asahi Shimbunsha: Asahi Comics: 2010.03), Koujitsukan no Hitobito (first serialized in Chorus; Queens Comics: 2007.08), Muriyari Oshikakema Show (Jets Comics: 2005.04), Resort Ikasare Makuri (Jets Comics: 2000.01) and Asia Ikasare Makuri (Jets Comics 1999.04).
The seven sibs' pilgrimage continues. Next stop: Nagoyama, the territory of the shogun's little bro Takamitsu. Little do the sibs realize as they make their way to Asajiro's mother's grave that the enemy is already in front of them.
Other 21 December 2011 highlights
- Crayon Shin-chan vol 10 by Usui Yoshito: Shinchan, a...savior?? He rescues a sparrow, a snake, even helps out Aunt Okei in delivering a baby! Does this mean Shinchan has morphed into a good boy??
- I Hate You More Than Anyone vol 8 by Hidaka Banri: Saki gets in Maki's face just as Maki is arguing with Kazuha. How will the reunion of these two who loathe each go? What of Kazuha, caught between the squabbling sibs?
- Tale of the Sea King vol 40 by Kawahara Masatoshi: The battle between Fan and Forest ends in Fan's defeat. Unable to resupply, the Wolhan troops waste no time in assaulting the capital of Ronaldia. But the warriors run out of steam, forcing Fan to reattempt breaking through the sea blockade.
Mangazines - continued
Kami ka Akuma ka © Moro Orie
Published in Indonesia as
Angel or Devil? by Elex Media
Azuma suddenly grabs Kinoshita's hand and volunteers to organize the culture weekend. How much fun can it be without proper preps?
The third and last Sensei, ni Ageru. volume released in Japan last September.
Kami ka Akuma ka concluded in two volumes; the finale streeted in Japan in February 2011.
- Love is the Devil (Amai Akuma ga Warau) by Toriumi Pedoro: Haruru invites Isshin to a party, but he's turned away at the door because he's just a servant??
- Arisa by Ando Natsumi: Apparently, the secret Arisa hides involves Tsubasa
- XX Me! (Watashi ni xx Shinasai!!) by Toyama Ema: Mami declares her love for Shigure; Shigure is stunned, to say the least.
- Your Melody (Kimi no Neiro) by Fukushima Haruka: Suzuki likes Otoha??
- Little Shugo Chara! (Shugo Chara-chan!) by PEACH-PIT, Napthalene Mizushima: Fun and more fun by the river
- Kami Kami Kaeshi by Toyama Ema: Sealed in a room, Mashiro should be safe, but someone comes knocking...
- SGC! Survival Game Club! (Sabagebu!) by Matsumoto Hidekichi: Momoka trails Kamo, hoping to get rid of her pet peeve, but...
- Hell Girl Return (Jigoku Shoujo R) by Eto Miyuki & Jigoku Shojo Project: Nanako is in love with Takuya, and her feelings are reciprocated. Until someone from Takuya's past starts to interfere...
Magi © Ohtaka Shinobu
Shogakukan [Shonen Sunday
The ruler mistakes Aladdin for a magi and begs Aladdin to make him a king. Even the dungeon watchman salutes Aladdin when he approaches the treasure room. Who is Aladdin really? And can he bring home the treasure in the dungeon?
Aside from Magi, which lands the cover, the other Shonen Star 22 highlight is the premiere of Aso Haro's Alice in Borderland (Imawa no Kuni no Alice), in which Alice Ryouhei and two friends are whisked off to the nightmarish Borderland where
Imawa no Kuni no Alice serializes in Shonen Sunday Super; two volumes have been released as of last September, with the third streeting in Japan this 2012.01.18. Aso Haro is the manga-ka of Hyde & Closer.
Before I talk about the other Shonen Sunday serials running in Shonen Star, allow me to mention the other upcomings: Silver Spoon (Gin no Saji: Silver Spoon) by Arakawa Hiromu (premieres in Shonen Star 1/2012) and BUYUDEN by Mitsuda Takuya.
The other current ShoStars:
- Wild Life by Fujisaki Masato
- Defense Devil by Youn InWan & Yang KyungIl
- ARAGO by Arai Takahiro
- Takkoku!!! by Fukuchi Tsubasa
- My First Mr. Akuno by Fujiki Syun
- The World God Only Knows by Wakaki Tamiki
- Detektif Conan by Aoyama Gosho
- Kekkaishi by Tanabe Yellow
- Dr. Koto by Yamada Takatoshi
Collecting the tankou? Most recent volumes: Dr. Koto 8 (2011.11.02 release), Detektif Conan 64 (10.26), Kekkaishi 10 (10.19), Wild Life 20 (9.28), My First Mr. Akuno 5 (8.15), Defense Devil 5 (8.10) and Takkoku!!! 2 (7.20).
Still not enuf? Here are the other 21 December 2011 manga and manhwa
Level Comics: Ceres 3 · GTO Shonan 14 Days 4 · Last Inning 10 · Nurse Aoi 19 · Ric Hochet: Ric Hochet vs Sherlock · Smurf: Smurf dan Telur Ajaib and Smurf: Smurf Liar
m&c!: Yona, The Girl Standing in the Blush of Dawn 4 · School Babysitters 2 · Shanaou Yoshitsune Genpei War 16 · The Adventure of Yoshito-Sama 3 · The Breaker 2 · Eighty Eight 4 of 4 · Full House: Love Continues 2 · Tokyo Rock Boy by Kikuchi Kamaro · Ice Dancing with You by Iwaoka Meme · Stylist of Love by Sakisaka Mea
Iamque opus exegi,
~Niki C. DBA 30uɐlnɯɐnɥ (花木蘭03)
Mistress of Adoxography who wishes you "Happy Holidays!"
Cover images used here for reference are © their respective intellectual rights holders. No infringement intended.